Tuesday, June 21, 2011

And So It Begins...

Well, it's been a long time since I've had a blog. I usually get bored with them after a month or so, especially if I try to come up with a new and interesting post everyday (exhausting). I've also never had a theme for them. To remedy this, I thought I might start one as an online travel journal of sorts; documenting my travels with friends and family.

To start, I think I'll explain the name "Gypsum Gypsy," which occurred to me when I was thinking about the course my life has taken thus far. I grew up in a military family moving from place to place every 3 yrs, living abroad in Japan and Puerto Rico (yes, it's a territory of the U.S., but a totally different culture), and honestly feeling a bit culture shocked when we finally settled back in the United States. Then, there were the various cross country road trips stateside my family took almost every Summer and Thanksgiving that allowed me to see more of this country. Now, after a brief moment of wandering around and doing as I pleased during my college years, I'm married and find myself attached to the military and that lifestyle once again. My husband is a pilot, and we are at our first duty station since he finished flight school, with quite a few more years to go, so there's no telling where we might end up living next! We also like to travel when his leave and our finances allow. Anyway, I feel like all these experiences have made me a gypsy of sorts; bored if I'm in one place for too long, and I can pack up and go at a moments notice. The gypsum part just came from a combo of loving alliteration and realizing that I have a very transparent personality.



Now that you know the why, let's start with the where(s)...


Like I mentioned, we are at our first official duty station, which has meant acclimating to the Midwest. I'm not going to lie, when we first found out where the military wanted to send us we went through a series of emotions in the following order: disbelief, anger, resentment, and finally resignation to the fact that we did not have a choice. We've been here a year and a half now, and our view of the Midwest is entirely different. While I think my husband and I both agree we do not want to retire here (he's a Northerner and I'm a Southern gal), it's been a good experience, and this part of the country has a lot to offer. Like anywhere else, there are the parts you can skip and never miss, but here are the places we've loved so far:




Kansas City (MO & KS)-This city has a lot to offer, including, but not limited to: great food, an always buzzing nightlife in the P&L (power & light) district of downtown on the MO side, shopping galore on both sides (outlets on the KS side and high end fashions in MO), museums, sports (Kansas City Speedway), the awesome Boulevard Brewing Co. (schedule tours way in advance!), big company headquarters (Hallmark), beautiful fountains, plenty of family attractions including theme parks and Great Wolf Lodge, and an art district that offers a thriving community of theatre, music, and modern/traditional art.



Lawrence, KS-Home of the Kansas University Jayhawks, this town is teaming with young folks, and it is definitely reflected in the much more liberal vibe you'll pick up on while wondering around. In other words, vegan, emo and indie kids in skinny jeans and swooping bangs abound, as well as restaurants of all kinds, various bars, an independent movie theatre (that serves beer, of course), music venues (an indie music lovers dream with bands like Gogol Bordello dropping by with surprising frequency) unique shops offering local art, local threads, and hard to find items that you'd usually expect to see in a much more metropolitan area, the obligatory Urban Outfitters (that's no doubt making a killing at that location) GAP, etc., and all are conveniently located on Main Street. As recently as this year, this town can also lay claim to possession of the "first rules of basketball," for the sports enthusiast. However, just as a heads up should you decide to visit, parking on Main St is metered only, so parking a street or two over for free and walking is preferable, and make sure you have good tires on your vehicle as the roads into town from the interstate are horrible.


Wamego, KS-I know when most people think of Kansas they usually involuntarily think of the images that the popular movie, "The Wizard of Oz," conjures up . Usually, I'd roll my eyes and shake my head at such a stereotypical image of "The Sunflower State," but if we are talking about the little town of Wamego, then it's a little more accurate. This very rural town is the site of the annual "Oz Fest," which does not feature Ozzy Osbourne, but the surviving "munchkins" from the film featuring Judy Garland, and a celebration of all things "Oz." If you happen to miss this festival, no worries. There is always the Oz Museum, where you can see various "Wizard of Oz" artifacts, interviews, and learn some little known facts about the actors and filming, as well as the books on which the film was based. The Oz Winery (which offers free tastings) and Toto's Tacos (a small Tex-Mex joint) are other fun stops on "your way to see the wizard." The town is also currently fundraising to install their very own "yellow brick road."





However, if you are not in search of the "great and powerful Oz," you can always head over to the historic village and dutch windmill located in the nearby City Park. I might also take a tour or see a play at the historic Columbian Theatre, or call ahead and schedule a buffalo ranch tour a little ways off the beaten path with Ed at the Lazy Heart D Ranch (he also sells the meat, which is super tasty for buffalo burgers, though I understand if you can't eat one after seeing the awe inspiring, not to mention adorable, bison). Oh, and if you happen by in the Spring, try to make it so you don't miss the annual Tulip Festival. It hosts a variety of arts and crafts vendors, food, live music, and some gorgeous flowers, of course (held in City Park).



Manhattan, KS-"The Little Apple" is nestled in the Flint Hills (yes, there are hills in Kansas, it's not all flat!) and Konza Prairie. It is home to the Kansas State University Wildcats, but since this is a more rural/agricultural area, it has a much more conservative vibe. They are serious about their sports here, so I wouldn't recommend rocking anything but white and purple as far as sportswear. However, just like any good college town, they know how to have fun. The designated area for such fun would definitely be Aggieville, comprised of a few streets near the campus boasting quite a few bars (including the famous Kite's, which was voted the #1 sports bar in the nation), some nice sandwich shops, restaurants, boutiques, coffee shops, and bookstores. It can be rowdy/crowded on weekend nights, but during the day it's family friendly and you can enjoy a nice stroll/bite to eat. There are some great parks nearby (literally two streets over) with playgrounds for the kiddies, a water park, plenty of space/sidewalks for walkers, runners, cyclists and the like, even Fido is welcome here! If you are still not sure about Aggieville, there is always Poyntz Ave., home to the Town Center mall, and a bunch of other small locally owned shops offering outdoor gear, shoes, women's boutique clothing, specialty children's toys, a salon, art gallery, and even a tattoo parlor. On Poyntz you will also find a few upscale and casual restaurants (I highly recommend Harry's for a nice dinner and The Chef for breakfast or brunch). I almost forgot to mention that Manhattan, specifically Aggieville, also annually hosts what they like to call "Fake Pattie's Day." It's all the debauchery you'd expect of a rowdy St.Patrick's Day festival, but a week or so before. It's not something you'd take the kids or grandma to, but maybe a few buddies you'd want on your beer pong team (think Mardi Gras on a much smaller scale with everyone wearing green). Things get pretty crazy, and I've personally seen a cab going the wrong way down a one way street during this festival, so make sure you plan to have a trustworthy DD or a place to stay within walking distance!

Ft. Riley, KS- Also found in the Flint Hills, and home of the "Big Red 1," it is an Army installation open to the public. If you are interested in all things historical, especially military related, than this should be on your list of places to check out. Now, I realize not everyone is a history buff, but it's a beautiful base, and you'd be missing out if you didn't see it's Main Post area where gorgeous historical limestone homes abound. Most homes are actually still used as such, so they are not often open for tours, but every now and then you can catch a tour of the General's home and a few others (check the Ft.Riley website for info on availability). However, Memorial-Labor Day the "Custer House" is open for free tours (donations accepted), and offers a look into the living style of the early dwellers of this installation such as Custer himself. There are also three other free museums (again, feel free to leave a donation, and check the website for times): the Calvary Museum w/gift shop, Division One Museum (both are full of detailed exhibits and worth the time), and the first territorial capital of Kansas w/gift shop. There are also a few hiking/walking trails near the Kansas River, you can arrange a horseback tour of main post in the Summer, take a ghost tour in the Fall, and there are a ton of playgrounds for the kiddos. If you get hungry, you can grab a bite to eat at one of the fast food places located in or near the two exchanges (little mini malls) on base, but I recommend you pack a picnic and enjoy one of the many parks between museums.



Abilene, KS-This little town was the birthplace of Dwight D Eisenhower, so you will find a Presidential Library, plenty of museums, the home he grew up in (which offers a free tour, donations recommended) and a lot of other info on "Ike." It is also home to plenty of great little antique shops, the worlds largest spur, a greyhound hall of fame (the dogs, not the buses, and you can pet them), a train you can ride, mansions you can tour, and some famous fried chicken (that I have yet to try, but plan to sample next time I pass through). I recommend stopping by the visitor's center for info and Mamie Eisenhower's famous cookie recipe (all free).



I realize all the places I've listed so far are in Kansas, except KC (Kansas City) which borders KS and MO, but I promise to update as I visit more of the states that comprise the Midwest (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, N Dakota, Ohio, S Dakota, and Wisconsin). I have been to Iowa, but none of the major cities. It honestly looks a lot like Kansas from what I've seen, but some friends of mine from there tell me Des Moines is much different. At the very least, my husband and I definitely plan on visiting Chicago, the Nebraska Zoo, Mount Rushmore, etc., before we leave this part of the U.S., but I'll keep you posted.







*I will try to post as many pics to go along with my posts as possible, but sadly I don't have many for this one. I often get so caught up in experiencing as much as I can in new places that I forget to take pictures! I plan to go take some more pictures soon, so stand by for an update!

No comments:

Post a Comment